Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Winter Olympic Fun!

Hi everyone!
I'm back! I have had so much fun with my students on the days we are in school with creating Olympic inspired artwork! My first grade classes are drawing winter animals such as snow leopards, arctic foxes, penguins, polar bears and arctic hares. We read the book ,Where Snowflakes Fall, by Claire Freedman and Tina Macnaughton and discussed winter animals and their habitats. The illustrations are just gorgeous in this book!
Next, we studied olympic sporting events and drew an animal in action. I love the way the students dressed their animals with scarves, hats, mittens, ice skates and snow skies. Too funny! Next, I cut on the animals and attached them to the scenic mural in the main hallway of our school in their various poses.








My fourth graders had the opportunity to create their own  pictogram for the winter olympics in art. First we practice gesture drawing and each student modeled a "pose" or gesture of a sporting event.  After getting the feel of how to show action with our gesture lines, students created their pictogram with the quilt patterns seen in the Russian folk quilts.  We looked at the Sochi 2014 designs and how the random patterns and bright colors enhanced the pictograms this year. Students used the patchwork designs inside their pictograms and cut them out and mounted them on a color that would "pop".



The rest of the related arts team at Rock Rest is currently working on reports, music and olympic games in their special areas. I think the students are getting a great cultural experience by studying Russia and there are many Olympic hopefuls among us at the elementary level.

Enjoy the Snow! I'm making snow cream with my kiddies!
Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment