Monday, February 24, 2014

The REAL life of an art teacher!

No joke,
This is the real life of an art teacher.... cleaning!!!
ok, not a great pic, but anyway...
 
It's 9:30 pm and the kids are finally tucked in and I'm still what? What's that I see? Yes, my dishpan hands once again after cooking a gourmet meal for my family. As a sweep the countertops for the 3rd time and  reflect on my day... how many times have I wiped a table, floor, chairs, countertops, sinks and yes, a kids face with paint on it?

 And instead of sitting down to relax, here I am again, cleaning.

Good thing I'm a little bit of a clean freak or I would never make it as an art teacher!

First thing this morning, a kindergartener dumps paint and water all over the place. I have several kids tip toeing around with buckets of water as I plead with them... "please be careful" "walk slowly" "no, not there" "leave the water" "put it down"  "beside the sink" "yes there" (as I feverishly slosh water around with the cheap brown towels the school supplies. No bounty here! I feel the stress closing in on me as I'm all alone with up to 26 of them each class period.   "help me.."

Next, I have my fifth graders walking in with no time in between (due to spillage) to draw on nice clean tables... right..

Later that day, yet again during a clay lesson, and then an oil pastel lesson, I'm wiping tables!
When I get home, no wonder I get a little testy with the fam.

Life is busy. I love the satisfaction of seeing a clean room. A clean space. And yes, a clean counter.

But reflecting on my day, I also see, life gets messy, just like art gets messy sometimes. If not, you're not living!

What are your cleaning tips for balancing work and family? I'd love to hear your ideas.


For now,
Keep Calm, just paint..... 
my cleaners are coming this week!! Yippeeeee


-Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment